Seminars/Workshops/Guest lectures organized
1. DBT Sponsored 3-day workshop on BIOINFORMATICS-COMPUTING WITH BIOTECHNOLOGY AND MOLCULAR BIOLOGY DATA was organised by Department of Biotechnology from 2nd to 4th February 2017.The resource person was Dr. Gideon Perikala, M.Sc. MPhil., M.Tech., PhD., PDF., Scientist, CRUK, UK.
2. Guest Lecture titled “New frontiers in Biological Sciences” was organized on 23 June, 2016. Prof. S. Sitarama Rao, Department of Botany, Osmania University, Hyderabad was the resource person who delivered a talk on – the physiological stress through the photographic examples of various plants and their important issues.
3. Guest Lecture titled “Green Chemistry” was organized on 24 June, 2016. Prof. MV Basaveswara Rao, Dean, Krishna University was the resource person who explained about the importance of Green chemistry and its 12 principles.
4. A One day student training programme on Mushroom cultivation was organized to the Biology students on 25th June 2016. Mr. Jayachandra, resource person of the day explained to the students about mushroom cultivation.
5. DST sponsored workshop – Orientation to the guide teachers is a workshop organized by the biology departments of Andhra Loyola College in collaboration with DST and School Academy on 25th July 2016. Teachers from different schools participated in this programme and the resource persons gave demonstration on working principles of various instruments and also gave hands-on training on new innovative techniques.
6. DBT sponsored workshop – A two day regional student workshop on Instrumentation and Hands-on training in advanced biological techniques was organized on 27-28th July, 2016. 45 students from 8 different colleges participated in this workshop and the concerned faculty members explained the various techniques and experiments to the students. They also demonstrated all the working principles of the instruments in their concerned labs.
7. Awareness programme – On the eve of World Nature Conservation day (27th July 2016) a drawing competition on saving nature and conservation of biodiversity was organized to a total number of 280 students and the prize winners were announced.
8. Guest lecture (28 July 2016) on Conservation of Biodiversity was delivered by Rev.Fr.S. Emmanuel, SJ the former Principal of Andhra Loyola College and Dr.T. Sri Kumar, Department of Physics ALC delivered a talk. They enlightened the students on the various environmental issues and gave a clear explanation to the students.
9. One day student workshop was held on 29 July 2016. In this workshop all the faculty members of the Biotechnology department were involved and 75 students attended it. The faculty explained the principles and procedures of the Instruments in the lab in detail.
10. A Guest lecture was organized on 30 June 2016 to 180 students on how chemistry allows researchers to create drugs that interact efficiently with the body to combat illness. His talk was delivered by Dr. A. Prasanna Kumar, department of medicine UCSF.
11. A One day DBT sponsored regional workshop on 17 August 2016 on Instrumentation and Lab maintenance for 24 support staff. It was on Microscopy and Preparation of standard solutions.
12. A e-content development workshop for biology students in collaboration with CIS-A2K Bangalore, Mr. Pawan Santhosh, Programme officer, Wikipedia trained 62 students of 3 departments in e-content development was organized from 16-18th August, 2016.
13. A Two-day DBT sponsored National Seminar on 2nd and 3rd September 2016 on Emerging Trends in Environment and Sustainable development. The seminar was enthralled with a galaxy of speakers across the country. Total of 6 speakers from different universities and institutes gave their talk. The DBT research lab and Bioinformatics was also inaugurated then.
14. A district level seminar on Pulses for sustainable food security – prospects and challenges was organized by the department of School education, Krishna District in association with Andhra Loyola College on November 9th 2016. 181 students from different schools have participated and presented their research work.
15. A two day DBT sponsored National Seminar - on Advances in the synthesis of nanomaterials and their multi-dimensional applications in chemical and biosciences on 14-15 September 2016. 147 participants gave their poster and oral presentations.
16. Guest Lecture on 23 September 2016 – Dr. B. Siddhardha, Asst. Professor, Dept. of Life Sciences, Pondicherry University gave a lecture on Nano particles. He also spoke about the carrier aspects to the outgoing life sciences graduates (230).
17. Guest Lecture - On 15th September 2016 by Dr. David Raju, Reader, Dept. of Chemistry PBS Arts and Science College gave a talk on Chromatography and Spectroscopy techniques. All PG Life sciences departments (50 students) took part in this programme.
18. On 28 October 2016, an awareness programme for all intermediate girl students was organized. Dr.Venkata Sridevi and Dr.Kola Vijaya Sekhar, Deputy Civil Surgeon, Govt. General Hospital, Vijayawada counselled the students regarding oral and ophthalmic health problems. Drawing and slogan writing competitions were also conducted.
19. Orientation for teachers was organized on 1st and 2nd Nov, 2016 in the National Children’s Science Congress. Department members were invited to be the jury members.
20. A guest lecture by Dr. Sreenivas, Scientist, Asst Director Food Chemistry division, NIN was attended by BSc students. The talk was on Current Nutrition disorders in India and putative diet solutions.
21. On 22 July 2016, Dr.Sudhakar, HOD Biotechnology, ANU delivered a talk on Genetic Engineering. He spoke about the principles and procedures of genetic engineering techniques. It was attended by UG and PG departments.
22. On the eve of the ‘World Ozone day’ – 16th September, 2016, Dr.T.Srikumar, department of Physics, ALC organized a guest lecture on climate change, global warming – causes, occurrences and effects of global warming on human health, plants and animals.
23. A Slogan writing competition was organized on 15th September 2016 on the eve of the ‘World Ozone day’. Dr.T.Srikumar, department of Physics, ALC distributed prizes. 100 students participated in it.
24. On 25th Nov, 2016, Ms. V. Kavitha, HOD department of Biotechnology was the jury member for the 24th National Science Congress-2016 district level competitions. School children had actively participated and presented their research work.
25. Ms. V. Kavitha, HOD, Department of Biotechnology, along with other faculty members in ALC were the jury members for the state level competitions for the 24th National Science Congress 2016 on 3rd December 2016.
26. An international conference was organized along with the departments of Botany, Microbiology on ‘New Approaches in Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences’ on 22-24th Dec, 2016. The aim of this conference was to highlight the international year of pulses. Eminent speakers from different countries, states and universities have delivered the talks. Various poster and oral presentations were given by the participants. 300 students participated and benefited from it.
27. A Guest lecture on “Conservation of Biodiversity” by Sri K.Ashok Kumar, DFC, DFO, Social Forestry, Krishna District, A.P. was organized along with NGC on 28th July 2014.
28. A Guest lecture on “Role of Medicinal plants in Pollution control” by Dr.D.Sirisha, Head, Department of Environmental Science, JNIAS, Hyderabad on 28th August, 2014.
29. Guest Lectures on Biochemical techniques and Spectroscopy by Dr.M.David Raju, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, PB Siddhartha College of Arts & Science, Vijayawada, on 27th & 30th September, 2014.
30. In 2012 a lecture on Projects was delivered by Prof.K.R.S.Sambasiva Rao, HOD of Biotechnology, Acharya Nagarjuna University.
31. Dr.B.Vijayalakshmi, HOD of Biotechnology, Krishna University gave lecture on Research Methodology in 2012.
32. One-day seminar on Applications of Bioprocess Engineering by a Resource person from KL University and Immunology & Immunotechnology by Dr.Ramachandra Rao, HOD and Vice Principal, MIC college in 2011.
33. Biosastra 2K10- a two-day National Seminar on " Biotech-Forays into the Environment" organized by the PG department of Biotechnology during February 3rd & 4th, 2010.
34. Cistron- a two-day State level seminar on "Future prospects of Biotechnology" organized by the Undergraduate and Post graduate departments of Biotechnology during February 2&3, 2009.
35. Vruksha-09 The Life Sciences Fest- an Inter collegiate seminar on "Modern Trends in Applied Botany" organized by Centre for Research and PG Department of Botany, Andhra Loyola College, on 24th January, 2009.
36. Biotrendz-09- A National level technical seminar organized by the Dept. of Biotechnology, Koneru Lakshmaiah College of Engineering, Vaddeswaram on 20th February, 2009.
37. Pragnya-2009 Platform for Excellence, PG Cultural meet organized by PG Dept. of Maris Stella College, Vijayawada on January 24, 2009.
38. Epoch of Bio sciences- A discussion forum on 9th August, 2009, hosted by PEPTIDES, Vijayawada.
39. National Conference on Genomics, Proteomics and Systems Biology conducted jointly by the Dept. of Biotechnology of Sir M.Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore and Dept. of Biotechnology of Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore during October 1-3, 2008.
40. National Seminar on Emerging Trends in Modern Biology and 25th Annual Conference of Comparative Animal Physiology organized by Indian Society for Comparative Animal Physiology, Tirupati and Centre for Biotechnology and Department of Zoology and Aquaculture of Acharya Nagarjuna University during 18-20 October, 2008.
41. National Symposium on "Biodiversity Conservation and applications in Biotechnology" was organized by the Dept. of Biotechnology in collaboration with the Depts. of Botany and Zoology during August 11-12, 2006.